Located near the center of the old Corfu town just above the Town Hall square in the narrow cantons, you will find this quiet and beautiful little chapel.
It was built at the beginning of the 17th century before 1650 and it was originally called Odigtria. The first references to the church are recorded in 1682 and are related to the Dedotsi family that then owned the church and the adjacent building referring to the quest of its transfer, renovation, and remodeling by Pope George Kakos of Crete.
The icon of Panagiopoula, adorned with gold and silver vows, dates to the time the church was built.
Years later, in 1688, a monk, Dimitrios Rachaipidis, asked the great archbishop to allow him to build a small church in the name of Saints Kosmas and Damianos. From the surname of the monk, derives the name of the church Agios Anargyros of Rahapidis. The church changed many owners due to the fact that Venetians dictated a tax exemption for the temples.
Until a monk of the Monastery of Holy Monastery Platytera, Chariton, bought the church and donated it to the monastery where there is a great collection of Byzantine icons and the tomb of John Kapodistrias, the first Governor of Greece.
The recording of this event is written in the book of Sp. Papageorgiou the “History of the Church of Corfu” that was published in 1920.
The church is known for two main events – the Epitaph procession each Holy Friday and the Odigitria festival on 23 August.
Locals and visitors are attempting all year round and show their love and admiration for the traditions and Corfu customs preserving them.
Its location is also a benefit as one can find it among the narrow streets of the historic Porta Remounda near the center of the Corfu old town.
corfu-odigitria.com Παναγιοπούλα ιστορία και γεγονότα