One of the most central parts of the island of Corfu, the beautiful Kofineta Square as they usually call it.

The Italian “Kofineta” harmonizes with this small square that connects the most important sights of the old town of Corfu, Liston on the one hand, the canton of the church of the patron saint of the island, Agios Spyridon and the impressive The Palace of St. Michael and St. George.

The word "Kofineta" and the name given in honor of the longest-serving mayor Spyridon Kollas

The word “Kofineta” came from the iron protective fence that was placed around the newly brought palm tree, which in its form then looked like a basket, hence the Italian word from which the square was named.

Although you will come across the name, Kofineta Square more often it is officially called Mayor Spyridon Kolla Square, in honor of the mayor of Corfu and the dedication he showed by his leadership from 1925 to 1951 during the difficult years of the Italian – German occupation of the island Corfu.

Spyridonas Kollas was the longest-serving mayor of Corfu and the second politician of his family, following the steps of his brother Dimitris Daniel Kollas, whose name is associated with the opening and operation of the old Municipal Theater in 1903.

The legendary first passenger cars

In the 19th century, the first three passenger cars used to be parked at Kofineta, a lot of people then, used to gather in the spot just to admire the details of these first cars.

In 2008 a marble column adorned with a bronze bust of former Prime Minister Georgios Rallis was placed in the center of Kofineta

Nowadays one can walk in the beautiful small square facing a visibly changed landscape, with the palm tree standing tall and imposing, the marble column adorned with a bronze bust of former Prime Minister Georgios Rallis, created by the Corfiot sculptor Eva Karidi and many others. cafes and restaurants worth visiting.

Our choice: Limoncello for the quality of its service with flavors that harmonize with the aura of the area.


Tsantaridis, Giannis (1992) “The History of Corfu” through its streets and cantons.”

Sourtzinos, George (2008) “Toponyms linguistic testimonies in the historical route of Corfu”

Photography: Eddie Kastamonitis
Text Editor: Marilia Makri
Share this Post


Get highlights of delivered to your inbox